As mentioned in a recent article, I have a very successful youtube channel that now has over a million view.
It all started in 2009 when my mom died. I found myself at my godparents’ with nothing else to do but binge watch my favorite shows and…. a lot of fan-made videos.
The show I was obsessed with at the time was Criminal Minds and my favorite character was SSA Emily Prentiss.
As I sat there watching amazing fanmade videos it occurred to me that I too could make videos like this.
So I did.
Here’s how I proceeded :
- I started by bine watching the show and taking notes of moments I thought would fit well with certain topics (friendships, women kicking down doors, characters being hurt etc…).
- I would use screen flow to record the passages I had taken notes of. (I found it for free at the time but if you do not wish to go through the trouble, you can use QuickTime to record the videos and then import them in IMovie).
- I would pick a song that I thought fitted the theme of the video perfectly.
- I would then edit all the bits of footage together making sure that the transitions between each different piece were smooth and unnoticeable.
- I would export the video and upload it to youtube.
I know I make it sound easy but this was my process and to this days my videos still get thousands of views every month and even though I have not made videos in years my monthly views do not seem to drop at all.
I do not promote this channel anywhere. Quite frankly, I started making these videos as a way of coping with my mother’s death and decided to upload them as a way of saving them somewhere they would never get lost. I had no idea they would be that popular.
Here is a concrete example of one video I made that is one of my favorite.